Friday, January 14, 2011

Decisions, decisions

It seems like time is really moving quite fast. My advisor pointed out to me the other day that I will be practically half way through with my course work at the end of this semester. My first semester was only a few months ago! So, with this in mind, I am trying to decide on my dissertation topic and format. Well, I actually know the topic/focus of research that I would like to study. I think it's really the design that I am struggling to decide upon.

I am asking myself: how can I possibly know 100% what I want to do for my dissertation? I've only been in for one full semester! I suppose, though, it does help that I had an idea of what I would like to research prior to applying to the program. Note to other future doctoral students: know what you want to study before you apply. This will make your life as a doctoral student a little less stressful and may even cut time spent in your program. 


So, the question is: primary research or a meta-analysis? The head scratching begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment